Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Welcome, welcome 2014


The Juncos are here in good numbers, and winter is in full swing.  No snow yet this season, but the image above from a couple of years ago makes me smile. I can't even believe another year has come and gone.  It literally seems like only yesterday that we watched the ball drop in Times Square on 2013.  We have a superstition in this house that our best years are "even years."  Not that odd years are really bad, but for some reason, really good things happen in even years.  I love the number 14.  Such a happy and rounded number.  I'm quickly headed towards the anniversary of my 52nd year, and have been giving though to what I'd like to accomplish this coming year.  Each year slips by, and we tell ourselves we need to "live more" and "worry less" and yet, do we?

This will be a big year of transition for Sam as he will "age out" of the public school system and can no longer attend the program he's been in for the past three years post high school.  I will need to see that we get on the "short term list" for the Medicaid NOW Waiver we were approved for this past year, so that he'll have access to other services for adults with disabilities.  I'd like to hope that we can find regular employment of some sort for him by mid-year and I will work hard to that end to see that he has something to do which engages him and gives him a sense of pride and purpose.  Don't we all want that?

As for me, there are two things I'd really like to accomplish this year.  I'm attempting to enroll in a Master Gardener class (the deadline for enrollment was Dec 21...oops) and hope that I'll hear from the person in charge within a day or so that there is an opening for me in a Tuesday morning class starting January 7th.  It's 15 weeks of meeting weekly on Tuesday mornings from 9-12, and covers a plethora of all things in nature and gardening.  There is so much I don't know and I think I'd really love to be with a group of people who share my passion for growing and nature.

Secondly, I finally want to learn to play an instrument.  I've been enamored with the Mountain Dulcimer for some time, and think it would be an easier instrument to learn.  I've found an instructor who seems to be a kind, gentle soul, and who teaches for the love of the music.  He charges $15/hr session, and prefers beginners.  I will be honest enough to say that this intimidates me mightily as I don't have faith many times in my own abilities, but hey, it *is* 2014 and all good things happen in even numbered years.  Wish me luck. Who knows... with enough diligence I may be able to share some music here and there on this blog.

Best wishes to all of you as you contemplate what you want this new year to be for you.  Embrace each day, breathe in the beauty, and take steps to really feel alive.  Now, enjoy Auld Lang Syne on this beautiful mountain dulcimer...

12 comments:

Ginger said...

Such a sweet, gentle sound to the dulcimer. I have no doubt that you will learn to play it beautifully, Jayne! And I'm a lover of even-numbered years, as well. Wishing you many blessings and joys in the coming year, my friend.

Beth Stoddard said...

Beautiful post! I am cheering on your decision to learn an instrument - you will NOT regret it! Mountain dulcimer is actually very accessible for a beginner, and you have a love of music and melody that will serve you well.

Go forth! Make music!

KGMom said...

Happy New Year--Jayne--to you and your family.
Here's hoping for great news for Sam--for finding the next step in life for him.
Happy 2014.

Carolina Linthead said...

Lovely! This is the style I want to work in in the new year...a kinder, gentler style than my frantic strumming and noting in D-A-A tuning. GO FOR IT! You'll love it! We love y'all, dear friend. Happy 2014!

Robin Lamb said...

Jayne, Happy New Year to you! I hope the years brings you all the good of life! And I hope your dreams come to fruition!

Mary said...

Happy New Year, Jayne. I am positive that Sam will find his niche. I am also confident you will thrive in your gardener's class and love playing an instrument. For me, I want to thank you for making me think about what I can do this year. I will have a wee babe to care for ;) so I need to concentrate on my health and ME. You inspire.

xoxo

Diane said...

I don't know who's playing this but I love the bare feet and the cat slipping by. And the song is beautiful.

Best wishes for the new year, Jayne. Diane

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What an exciting way to begin the new year, MG classes and Dulcimer classes. I have a friend that plays all sorts of music on a mountain dulcimer. He can make that instrument sing. You will too in no time with your musical ability. Best wishes to you and yours for 2014.

NCmountainwoman said...

Happy New Year! I have given lots of thought to learning how to play the dulcimer as well. We have several artisans who make them for a local music shop and they give lessons. Here's hoping 2014 is indeed a great year for all of you.

The Bug said...

Happy New Year dear Jayne :)

warriormom said...

Happy New Year, Jayne! You just might inspire me...I've been mulling over learning the Mandolin as we have quite a few players/teachers in our small community. I'm just fear-full. I'll look forward to hearing your progress on the Mountain Dulcimer and of course looking forward to Sam's next steps.

Ontario Wanderer said...

The dulcimer is relatively easy to play. (My father, in his retirement years bought a kit to make one and then became enamoured with it and went on to make 25 or 30 more which were sold to people in several states and in Canada.)

I am wondering about you and your son collaborating on dulcimer and readings for children. Perhaps you could sell your results and pick up a few dollars while making many children happy. Just a thought.