Sunday, October 06, 2013

31 days: October 6

There are moments when it seems as if time stands still.  You could almost simply stop the action in your mind and you know you'll remember the feeling you felt.  I had one of those moments yesterday.

We had left my parent's house after celebrating their anniversary and decided to head to Home Depot to get some concrete paint for my garage floor.  Sam was sitting in front with my husband, as he complained about the "loud road noise" and not being able to hear me talking on the way to their house.  To make him happy, I told him he could ride shotgun on the way home.

As we were traveling down the highway, Sam started talking to his Dad about a skit on the old show, Mad TV,  that they both find very funny.  He was reciting some of the scene, using funny voices, and laughing with glee.  His Dad was finishing sentences right along with him, and their shared hilarity made them both laugh even harder. Me?  I sat in the back, watching the joyful interplay between the two of them sharing something that is theirs alone and felt such a sense of complete joy and peace.

Sam's autism was always so very hard for his Dad to accept.  He had a very difficult time understanding his son, and finding common ground on which to relate to him. But, that has all slowly changed over the past few years, and now, they are so much closer.  His Dad now understands him so much better, and has learned to embrace his son for who he can be, without sadness, frustration, or self-consciousness.  There is a peace and grace in that I can't adequately convey, but which could make me cry just writing this.  Those who know me best will fully understand. In that sweet moment, in a car full of laughter traveling down the highway, we were a family.

6 comments:

The Bug said...

What a sweet moment! So glad you made it there, finally.

Mary said...

I know... peace and grace ;)

Beth Stoddard said...

I can almost see it....

Beautiful moment. Glad you shared it.

LauraHinNJ said...

I'm glad you had that moment, Jayne. Glad for them, too.

warriormom said...

What a precious moment.

Laurie said...

Beautiful Jayne, not only a very special moment for them, but for you to witness that joy and laughter. Blessings to you dear friend, blessings.