Monday, October 28, 2013

31 days: October 28

As you might have been able to tell, the past two days entries were created in advance and scheduled to post.  On Friday, husband and I took off for a weekend getaway, but I've been so faithful here posting my "moments" each day, that I simply could not miss two full days, hence the more general posts on Saturday and Sunday.  I've really enjoyed this month long project and want to send a shout out to my sweet friend, Beth, whose challenge precipitated my doing this at all. As I told her, I'm sort of feeling bereft about Thursday coming and it being the end of our 31 days of Moments.  And so... for my moment yesterday...

My father had many wise tidbits of wisdom to offer during my growing up years, but one of his nuggets was brought to the forefront this weekend.  He'd tell me, "Life is like a card catalog you find at the library, Jayne.  You need to find your slot in the drawer, and live there happily.  You don't need to struggle to live in the drawer above, nor live in the drawer below, but just find your comfortable place in the catalog, and be happy."  For our weekend getaway, we splurged to stay in a beautiful resort hotel.  Yes, it was pricey, but we so rarely get to go away as a couple, that we wanted something special for our two nights away.  And, special it was.  It was a Ritz Carlton property. It was so beautiful there, and the service and food was beyond superb.  We were enchanted with the furnishings, the beautifully landscaped gardens and grounds, and it felt special just being there.  We soaked it all in, every nuanced thing.  We'd grin and point out things to one another that we found impressive.  It was everything we wanted it to be.  Why? Because we know, it's not our normal place.  And, here's what I noticed...

I watched the people who were staying there, listened to snippets of their conversations, and came to realize that this place was no big deal for them.  This sort of accommodation was normal to them, and they were sometimes short and rude with the hotel staff members.  They had expectations way beyond mine.  They were used to all of this sort of finery and service and were impatient.  They live way up in the top of the card catalog drawer, and seemed rather difficult to impress. In one particular moment of watching an impatient woman in the gift shop, I smiled with the knowledge that I can occasionally indulge in places like this and feel like a kid in a candy shop.  I have wide-eyed wonderment because I can appreciate the beauty and the attention to detail. But, my home is tucked further down in the card catalog, and I like it there because it makes me such a more content and appreciative soul. Yes, it's my slot in the drawer.

The beautiful lobby area at the lodge. Just so warm and lovely.


2 comments:

The Bug said...

I feel pretty content with my place too. I might enjoy a visit, but I'm usually uncomfortable in the presence of wealth & its trappings.

I'm glad you guys had a good time!

Robin Lamb said...

Jayne, I so happy you two were able to get away for a "me" weekend! One needs to do that once in awhile.
Nothing like pushing out of that drawer and seeing how the other half live!