Thursday, October 24, 2013

31 days: October 24

Yesterday was a looooong day for me. Tuesday evening, we went to bed at our usual 9:45pm and I read my Kindle reader for a bit before putting it on the bedside table and sinking into My Pillow (as an aside, the best pillow on the planet, and I'm not joking) for a good night's sleep.  I was tired and ready to fall asleep, which I did promptly.

Next thing I knew, I was wide awake in the bed and I was feeling really hot.  My gut was churning as well and I had to get up.  I headed to the bathroom to get some Pepto Bismol tabs and some water.  When I went to get back into bed, my tummy was gurgling. I looked at the clock and it was only 11:00pm.  There I lay, wide awake and miserable, knowing the alarm was going to go off at 5am to get my work day started.  And I could not get to sleep. I finally got back up at 11:35 and took a Benadryl.  I knew I was going to regret it, but I needed to get to sleep.  I have no clue what time I finally fell back asleep.

The older I get, the more important my sleep routine is to me.  I generally try to maintain the same schedule, even on the weekend, though I will sleep in until 7 or so sometimes.  If I don't get good sleep, I simply feel off kilter and it really impacts my day.  In general, I sleep really well, so nights like this are thankfully the exception and not the rule.

The alarm went off at 5am and I reluctantly shuffled out of my warm bed.  I was at work by 7:30am and did not get home until almost 6pm.  It was a loooong day.  Moments like these make me fully appreciate the value of good, restorative sleep.  I am one of those people who truly feel the lack of adequate sleep can very negatively impact my health and life in so many ways.  And, I am thankful when sleep comes easily and I awake after my 7 hours really ready to be the best I can be.

3 comments:

Beth Stoddard said...

I wish I could get in bed before midnight...but it rarely happens. One of these days....

Until then, I struggle on with my five or six hours, and I LOVE days I can sleep in!

Hope you're feeling okay today!

The Bug said...

I usually sleep really well - although I ALWAYS have to get up at least twice to go to the bathroom (I've had to my whole life - bladder the size of a peanut apparently). But the other night I went to bed early (for me) - around 9:30. At 12:30 I woke up & could NOT get back to sleep. I ended up reading on my kindle until around 3:00. Ugh.

I've recently started tracking how much actual sleep I get a night. And I've figured out that it's not enough! Need to change some habits before I can get more sleep though.

Robin Lamb said...

Jayne, I know how you feel. I occasionally have a night like that. It really throws me off! I find sleep very important to my well being!
Hope it doesn't persist!