Friday, December 28, 2012

Winter visitors


Yesterday, as I was looking out my kitchen window at the cup feeders I have there, and watching the feeding frenzy as the temps stayed in the 30s', I realized I'd not yet seen any Purple Finches this season.  Within a minute or two, this guy flew in to the cup to enjoy some sunflower seeds.  These beautiful birds only come to my neck of the woods in the winter season, so it's always a treat to see them intermingled with the House Finches.





After an hour or so, I looked out again, and there in the Crepe Myrtle just above the feeders was his beautiful bride!  At first I thought, "Now what kind of sparrow is that?" before I realized she wasn't a sparrow at all.   I hope they hang around for a while and let me soak in their beauty.


7 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

We have them here now as well. And we really love seeing them.

Diane said...

So what is that last one, Jayne? The Purple Finch is such a gorgeous color. Have a great day. Diane

Robin said...

Jayne, wonderful shots! I love these little guys. We only see the occasional Purple. We mostly get House Finches, and they are here year round. There's a bunch of them in the yard right now! They are raucous and fun to watch!

Jayne said...

Diane, the bottom one is the female... his bride. :c)

Karin said...

Lovely photos of these pretty birds! Enjoyed catching up on reading blogs!!

altar ego said...

I am so far behind catching up on blogs. It is always a pleasure to read of the various parts of your days, your joys and challenges. I hope that in the year ahead we can find some "face time." I would love to share it all in person. Love you!

Laurie said...

We have the purple finches here year round, and in the summer their color is even more vibrant. I did learn something new though, I've always said these were sparrows, I never knew thy were crepe myrtles! Thank-you!