Monday, December 31, 2012

Another New Year


And here we are... on the precipice of yet another New Year.  This was my 50th year, and one that I thought would be monumental in terms of things I wanted to achieve.  I didn't make a list.  Maybe that was my error.  It's easier to refer to a list and mark things off.  I had lots of things in my head I wanted to achieve, and yet, the year flew by, and now it's December 31 again.

I wanted to learn to meditate.  I did download some guided meditation and did it maybe twice?  For some reason, I just would not carve out the time to be still.  I'll keep that as a goal.  I really wanted to focus on shedding the 15-20 pounds I've gained over the past 11 years.  To that end, I did end up purchasing a wonderful recumbent bike which I've faithfully used 3-4 times a week since July.  But, my eating and wine drinking did not scale back enough to show the results of my faithful bicycling. I am however, back on track at this moment, so maybe there is yet hope.  I did read many wonderful books and stretched my mind and faith quite a bit due to those wonderful reads.  And, I did somehow find a way to help Sam want to get healthier, which was always a thorn in my side.  He fully surprised me by embracing the idea that we needed to avoid all the things that go along with being obese, including diabetes.  To that end, he shed 66 pounds since January and I am so proud of him, I simply glow when I brag to others how well he's done.  He started at 247 and now weighs in at 181.  Wonder of wonders.  That alone should be my crowning glory this year.  Maybe the meditation and weight loss for me pales in comparison.

What will this coming year bring?  Who knows. But, I will continue to try and have an open heart and mind and I will still work towards more enlightenment for myself as I navigate this thing called life.  And, I hope the same for you.  In the end, as long as we can embrace the love, joy, and discovery, our life will be full and contented, no matter what comes our way.  Know that you matter.  Take efforts to make others feel they matter too. Be kind to yourself and others.  Smile each day. Soak in the sunrises and sunsets.  Be at peace.


13 comments:

Laurie said...

66 pounds!Way to go Sam, I think that's a major accomplishment not only for Sam, but because of your dedication to his health, for you also. Again Jayne what a beautiful post. Happy New Year, to you and your family, dear friend.

Ginger said...

Happy New Year, Jayne! What a stellar year you've had. I treasure our friendship and look forward to more of this long distance keeping-in-touch. Wishing you many blessings and grace in your life.

altar ego said...

I definitely think that Sam's weight loss is a gem in your crown. And you know that saying that life is what happens to us while we're busy making other plans? Among the things that you accomplish every year is the ability to embrace unexpected moments, learn from less-than-pleasant ones, celebrate serendipity, regroup and redirect when necessary, and let loose your joy.

If it would help to make a list, I've been thinking about doing that as well, so maybe we can plan a "list meme" for the year to come!

Thank you for your kindness, for letting me know I matter, and for encouraging me to smile. I am working on the peace part, and you help in that effort, too.

Love you!

Robin said...

Jayne, Happy New Year to you and yours! I hope the coming year brings you everything on your list!
Remember, don't be too hard on yourself!

Diane said...

Thank you for your beautiful words, Jayne. I will keep them in my heart.

It's so wonderful that Sam lost the weight. I'm sure he feels so good about it. It seems to me that finding time for yourself, whether exercise, meditating, or even planning the right meals for YOURSELF is one of the hardest things there is. I'm still trying. I hope all the best for you and your family in 2013. Hugs, Diane

Diane said...

P. S. I meant to ask if that's Chihuly glass in your picture. It's just beautiful. Diane

Jayne said...

It is Diane! It is a Chihuly sculpture in a fountain at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I took the photo during our visit there in October.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Happy New Year to you and yours. May the year ahead be filled with peace and joy.

Beth said...

Lovely words, Jayne. Sounds to me like you've had a very good year indeed...and that you are definitely on the right path for 2013. I think that as long as we are moving forward in love and kindness with open hearts and minds, we're doing pretty darn good.

Much love to you and your sweet family, my friend, in the New Year. May 2013 be filled with blessings and wonders.

The Bug said...

Happy New Year! As is usual at this time of year I'm wanting to emulate Sam - 66 pounds gone would be GREAT by next year at this time!

KGMom said...

Jayne--considering all you have done for AND with Sam--you can skip meditation.
Enjoy the coming year!

Ruth said...

Happy New Year to you and your family. Wouldn't it be lovely to have the metabolism of a young man? Kudos to Sam for his weight loss. He looks handsome and healthy.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love the Chihuly. We were lucky enough to see him demonstrate the art and to see a large display in Milwaukee before we left.

Happy New Year to all of you!