Thursday, May 17, 2007

Beauty in the trees

As I was returning home yesterday, I noticed these beautiful Red-tailed Hawks up in a tree by the pond at the entrance of our subdivision. I dashed home, grabbed the camera and went back to find that they were thankfully still there. (Click to see them larger.) I snapped these from the car, and just as I was getting ready to change the ISO setting to allow for more light on an overcast day (I adjusted the levels in Photoshop as these were fairly dark), the one on the lower branch stretched his wings and took off. I was thrilled to see the image I caught just before he flew! Check out that red tail!


12 comments:

Anne said...

I love hawks, and the picture of the one poised for flight is a keeper! So glad they waited for you to run home for your camera! Hope you have a good day,
xoxo

mon@rch said...

I just love that second photo where the bird is about to take flight!! Using your car as a blind is very helpful!

Mary said...

Great job, Jayne! I'm glad they waited for you. Beauty in flight!

~m2~ said...

jayne, you are getting better and better with your photography....i am really impressed :)

Lynne said...

Wow Jayne, that second shot is a thrilling one in a million!

Liza Lee Miller said...

Great photos, Jayne! Really awesome! And, as Mon@rch said, using your car for a blind is a great idea (as long as you don't honk the horn by accident -- which I have done! :)

Q said...

These are wonderful photos!
The wings and tail are incredible. I am excited seeing these photos and can imagine how excited you must have been!
I too love the Hawks.
WOW!
Sherry

Body Soul Spirit said...

The detail in both pictures is terrific when viewed larger. Wow!
ruth

MizzE said...

Ladies, besides ogling the red tale feathers, did you check out HER Nails?

If I had nails like that I wouldn't get any work done. For her, they are essential to raising a brood.

Jayne said...

Glad everyone enjoyed the photos. I wish, wish, WISH I'd been able to adjust the ISO and the bottom photo would have been so much more vivid, but oh, well. :c)

Welcome mizze, and thanks for stopping by. Yes, I did notice those "nails" when I cropped that photo!

BirdingMom said...

That is truely a one-in-a-million shot! Please tell me what camera and lens you are using ... you are an artist with that camera!

Jayne said...

Nancy, I am using a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a 100-400mm lens. Thanks so much for the kind compliment... I am learning as I go.